Friday, August 6, 2010

nigerian jewel

It was a day just like any other. Stretched myself out of bed, showered, put on my favorite blue jeans, the all too familiar routine of makeup and body care, one more look in the mirror and with a soft whisper,

"ok, i'm good to go."

Reaching for the car keys and sunnies, i reminded myself again not to forget to take the laundry. As I walked to my car, something -or rather someone, caught my eyes. There he was, on a red and yellow tricycle- a boy no more than five years old was just staring at my car. What made it more peculiar was that he is not from around here. Curly hair, dark tanned skin and immediately I thought to myself,

"I didn't know we have a Nigerian neighbor."

We don't.

I walked over, stood right next to him and squatted down. Not to scare him away, as gently as I could, I said, "Hello."

He didn't reply. He was slightly shaking his head and avoiding eye contact. I figured he was taught not to talk to strangers which I agree is a very important lesson for all kids to remember. But there he was. He didn't paddle away. So I held out my hand to him and said, "Hi, my name is Nora. Where's your home? Do you want me to send you back?"

Again, he avoided my gaze and looked everywhere at nothingness. Then it hits me- this kid is autistic.

Being a woman, my 'naluri wanita' immediately kicked in and I was worried that he may not be able to find his way back all by himself.

"It's ok, sweetheart. Do you need help? I can help you to look for your parents."

Steadily, he turned his head towards me, "Yes! eye contact, this is good", I said to myself. However it was just for a brief second and he was back to losing focus.

"I'm gonna go inside my house and take a a drink. Would you like to have one?"

"No", he said while just playing with the ribbon on his handle bars.

I hesitated for awhile, then I stood and walked over to my house. I slotted the key into the lock and opened the door. As I was in the kitchen, I figured I might as well carry another pack of green tea just in case he changed his mind. Closed the fridge after grabbing two packets of the juice and head over to the front door.

To my surprise, the boy was standing right there. As I had left the key in the lock, he was fiddling with it and enjoying the sound of jiggling keys. So I slowly approached him and said, "I have one drink for myself, would you like to have the other one?". Patiently, I waited for his reply.

"No."

"Ok, where do you want to go? I can take you there"

......

"Are you going out?", he asked.
"Yes dear."
"Ok, I'll get out of your way"

Now, for an autistic kid, this boy can communicate well enough. That's good.

"But what about you?". I tried to continue the conversation and get him to participate. Carefully, I locked the door and offered him my hand. He took it and we walked towards his tricycle. "You know it's very dangerous to be all by yourself. Bad things could happen.. Now look at the sky."

I pointed his hand to the dark clouds above, "It looks like it's going to rain soon" - truth is, it seemed more like a storm is coming and I'm really not comfortable leaving him roaming around by himself.

"No. No. Don't worry. Are you going out?"

"Yes, dear, I have to go. Please let me take you home. Or do you have a phone number that I could call to speak to your parents? I'm sure they're very worried."

"No. I'll get out of your way. You go."

Looking at a 5 years old-autistic kid, trying to act all mature and in charge, tickled me in a way.
Well, maybe his family is just visiting one of my neighbors and this neighborhood is really a safe and great place to grow up. So I smiled at him and said. "Ok then, have this drink so you won't go thirsty".

"No. Don't worry, I'll get out of your way.. See". He hopped on his bike and took it three steps back.

Seeing this, I unlocked my car, stepped in, turned on my engine, wind down the window.

"Ok, I'm going now. Please find your parents before the rain starts to pour."

"Ok. I'll get out of your way. You go."

"Promise?"

"Ok. You go."

I smiled at him, waved him goodbye as he paddled away.

I stole a quick glance at the rear view mirror as I reached the opposite end of the road.

..He was gone.

I'll always remember that little Nigerian boy on his tricycle jiggling with my keys. I do hope he went back to his parents.

As I was on my way to the store, I called Ajoi to tell him about it and he said...

"woooaa, voodoo boy"


*Apalah awak ni!


No comments: