Wednesday, April 25, 2012

reflections


a poem found by Aunty Ramlah intended for Amin's wedding.
it's too honest not to be shared. =)


REFLECTIONS
MARRIAGE


I may not be there when I am needed
I may not be strong when I should be
I may not be as romantic and considerate
As I would like to be,
but with your help
we will strive for harmony


what do we have in a marriage?
is it roses, thorns included?
getting married is the bottom
of an uphill drive


some break down for lack of care,
understanding, consideration,
respect, patience
and commitment to make it work


be grateful for each day together
for snatches of happiness
for health,
do not dwell on shortcomings
it poisons the mind
and hardens the heart


be loving even when it is difficult
for those are the moments
when the other needs it most,


make a habit of courtesy
and thoughtfulness
without them love will be eroded


be sparing with sharp words
better left unsaid
apologies will not erase the hurt


discuss difficulties with love
without self pity
without intentions to change the other
but for both to meet at a halfway point


I may not be there when I am needed
I may not be strong when I should be
I may not be as romantic and considerate
As I would like to be
but a life together
is our choice


the path will be rough
strewn with temptations
help me if I waver
from a life together in harmony
which is, Our choice


anonymous
10 dec 1987

1 comment:

Ruth said...

So beautiful....